Friday, February 4, 2011

Prohibited: Walking while gaming

A 10 year old boy was rescued by an off-duty cop in Italy when he fell onto the tracks because he was walking while gaming. It's bad enough there are people who walk while texting and fall into fountains, now we have kids who can almost get killed while gaming.


          

The boy, who has not been named yet, was walking with his mother and sister on his way home from school when the incident happened. Lucky for him the off-duty officer, Alessandro Micalizzi, instinctively jumped on to the tracks to help him up.

Micalizzi said this about what happened: "It was only afterwards when I heard the other passengers clapping and cheering that I had stopped and thought about what I had done and my heart was in my throat. That was the only time I thought of the danger otherwise - I was just focusing on the boy and trying to save him before the train came into the station." 


This is a great example for kids. Gaming handhelds are great but if you're not sitting or standing still, you should not be paying that much attention to them. This kid is lucky he wasn't seriously hurt or worse.

I've seen kids cross streets with their parents and paying attention to their DS instead of where they're heading. And when I cross them I just want to yell out "SKRREEEEE!" just to watch them jump. I'm glad the driving while texting law went into effect because of the increasing number of accidents it was causing; last thing we need is to add fuel to the politicians and lawyers to want to ban gaming in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment